HomePrescribed Burning

Prescribed Burning Program

Another type of agricultural burning is Prescribed Burning. Prescribed Burning is defined as the planned application of fire to vegetation to achieve a specific objective on lands selected in advance of that application. The planned application of fire may also include natural or accidental ignition.

These types of fires include fires used in wildland vegetation management burning. Wildland vegetation management burning is the use of prescribed burning conducted by a public agency, or through a cooperative agreement or contract involving a public agency, to burn land predominantly covered with chaparral, trees, grass, or standing brush. Fire can also be used in forest management, range improvement, the improvement of land for wildlife and game habitat, and disease or pest prevention.

In order to conduct a prescribed burn, an Agricultural Burn Permit is required along with the submission of a Local Smoke Management Plan (SMP). For burns of less than 10 acres, only a single page plan must be submitted. For burns greater than 10 acres or with the potential to cause adverse smoke impacts a more detailed plan is required. The SMP must be approved by the District prior to the burn being conducted. Depending on the size and location of the planned burn, the District, the agency conducting the burn and the California Air Resources Board may work together to ensure that smoke impacts are prevented or minimized.

To obtain an agricultural burn permit, contact the District at (530) 757-3650 or (800) 287-3650. To view the Sacramento Valley Air Basin Smoke Management Program, click here.

Home Board The District Announcements Contact Us